Much of “Deep Down” is devoted reorienting us in Angel‘s world. Possibly too much. Its a necessary evil of serialized television that the season premiere needs to remind us of what happened last year and the redundancy is only exacerbated in the era of DVD but all the recapping here feels excessive, even by those standards; did we really need a reminder of Justine’s origins? That said, the episode still manages to mine all the hindsight for some narrative payoffs. Yes, the characters are painfully expositing about what’s happened, but they’re also grappling with its consequences. I’m still not sure that the recap shouldn’t have been toned down a little, but it’s not enough to keep this episode from being very entertaining. Continue reading
- They used to make steel there, no?
- What are you, the narrator?
- You Lost the Mission, Bro
- Bleeding Hearts Have an Ironic Fear of Their Own Blood
- Ain't Love Grand
- Why Can’t You Just Masturbate Like the Rest of Us?
- A Turgid Supernatural Soap Opera
- Guess I better put some pants on
- We ain't gotta dream no more, man
- Final Thoughts - Angel Season Four
- DVD Review
- Film Review
- Guest Author
- Television Review
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Game of Thrones
- House of Cards
- Mad Men
- The Walking Dead
- The Wire
- The X-Files
- True Blood
- Veronica Mars